Keep these helpful tips in mind the day of your audit
Successfully passing a third party audit is arguably the most important task a food processing facility’s quality assurance manager must accomplish. Without a passing grade, the facility will be faced with the prospect of a costly shutdown, damage to their brand and potential fines and regulatory action.
The Sprague Pest Experts partner with food industry clients on a daily basis to help them prepare for and pass third-party audits with flying colors.
When the day comes for your audit, it is helpful to keep the following in mind:
- Treat the auditor like a professional; they are not paid to be a consultant. Rather, they are an impartial party tasked with determining whether your facility is in compliance with current regulations.
- Take charge of the audit and provide the auditor with an overview of your food safety and pest management plans. Presenting information (records, log books, contracts, etc.) in an organized manner will reflect well on you and assist the auditor.
- Accompany the auditor during the inspection and make yourself available to answer questions.
- Aim for clear communication and ask questions where necessary. Answer the auditor’s questions fully but stay focused on information related to the inspection.
- Ask for a post-audit debrief with the auditor to address any questions or concerns they may have. Take good notes during this meeting.
- If there are any issues during the audit, have the inspector highlight them so you can follow up internally afterward and take corrective action.