Summer is here and for most businesses, that’s a good thing! Business often picks up in the summer time and although you may feel like things are a little hectic right now, you can’t forget about one of the most important factors to running your commercial facility in the summer: pest control. Protecting your facility from invading pests especially in the summer is important for many different reasons; the safety of your product, your employees and your customers is at risk, as well as your reputation and your brand. If you have not already partnered with a pest control professional, now is the time to do it. Having a pest management professional on your side when dealing with pest problems in your commercial facility can be indispensable; they can assist you with every aspect of pest control in your facility. There really is no substitute for professional assistance when dealing with pests in your facility, but there are a few things you can do on your own to help prevent pests in your commercial facility this summer.
Pest prevention tips for your commercial facility can include:
- Have a daily cleaning schedule for your facility. Make sure that each department has a job to do and then periodically, have specialized cleaning crews come through your facility and dismantle major machines for a deep clean.
- Remove foliage or vegetation from at least 2 feet from the perimeter of your facility. You can install small rock gravel instead of vegetation; this can help deter pests interested in entering your facility.
- Install sodium vapor lighting in your outdoor lights. Insects are less attracted to this type of lighting.
- Keep windows and doors closed tightly when not in use. You can install weather stripping around doors to help eliminate any gaps that invading pests may find. You can also install fine mesh screens around windows and doors; just keep an eye on them to make sure they remain free from rips and tears.
- Provide timely trash removal from the premises. Clean the containers themselves regularly and when not in use, the containers should remain covered. Do not overfill dumpsters and do not allow cardboard boxes and crates to accumulate around them or on loading docks.
These tips can help reduce any infestations of pests that may try to enter your facility, but they are not always 100% effective and if you already have an infestation, you may need treatment before implementing pest prevention efforts.
At Sprague Pest Solutions, we offer commercial pest control in Seattle, Salt Lake City, Portland and Denver as well as throughout our service area. Our BrandSmart Pest™ program delivers a powerful combination of benefits for your commercial facility. We offer more than Integrated Pest Management; our services are proactive and will modify pest-conducive environments and find natural and non-chemical alternatives to pest control, which is especially important in sensitive environments. For more information on any of the peset control services we offer commercial customers, contact the professionals at Sprague Pest Solutions today!